January 07, 2008

Matthew 6

Jesus teaches that when we do things like giving, praying, and fasting, we shouldn't draw attention to ourselves. We are playing to an audience of one. God is the only one whose favor we should desire and the only one who can truly appreciate when we do these things. Jesus says that if we do these things to be seen and praised by men, then that is all we will ever get. Once again, Jesus takes it back to motivation - examine your heart and think if you're doing the right thing to honor God or to honor yourself.

While talking about prayer, Jesus gives us a model of how to pray. Paraphrased, it goes something like this:

God, You are my Father. Your name is holy and I will always honor it.
I want to do Your will here on earth to make a difference for Your eternal kingdom.
Supply my needs for the day, for You are my provider.
Forgive my sins the same way I have forgiven those who have sinned against me.
Give me the strength to keep from doing the wrong things and to steer clear of bad situations.
I submit to Your control; I recognize Your power; I worship Your majesty.
Amen.

The exact words aren't important. As a matter of fact, Jesus just got finished saying not pray with meaningless repetition. The important things are to recognize God as the highest priority in our life, to acknowledge our daily dependence on God's providence, to confess our sins to be forgiven (this part presupposes we have done likewise to others), and to learn to depend on God as the only way to live a life that is pleasing to Him.


We are told to store up treasures in heaven - not on earth. We were made to live forever, so we should focus our energy on things that will last forever. Toys break, electronics become outdated, money runs out, but when we give of ourselves selflessly - our time, money, and energy - God sees these things and promises eternal rewards that will outshine anything we could ever have in this life. We can't live for God if we are consumed by the need to have more and more "stuff".


It seems obvious when you think about it, but Jesus tells us that worry accomplishes nothing. We cannot change a single thing by worrying about it. God will provide for our physical needs when we are seeking Him and give ourselves totally to Him. He wants our full devotion and is ready, willing, and able to meet our needs (not wants) in return.

This verse closes with my favorite verse. I used to spend a lot of time worrying about the outcome of events that I had no control over. God laid this verse on my heart and from that moment on I felt relieved that I didn't need to eat myself up inside because I know God has it all under control.

So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
-Matthew 6:34 (NASB*)
* Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today's Jewish people are into being Jewish. They have completely forgotten that they are God's covenant people. Your comments in the early part of your blog make me think the same thing about the Jewish people of Jesus' time